Friday, January 4, 2013

drunk with happiness.


My Second Marathon
My legs got me through the first 10 miles, my brain got me through the next 10, and my heart got me through the last 6.

Rain, wind and injury didn’t stop me from finishing my second full marathon, the California International Marathon on December 3, 2012. I may have been a few minutes slower than last year, but I’ll take it.   Rain and wind until mile 22 was a challenging experience.  26.2 miles of agony and utter bliss.  

Thank you to my family and friends for all the support and encouragement. To the crazy ones that actually made it to the course today, Ryan, my mom, dad (who actually rode his bike alongside me for a mile and a half), stepmom, Papa Rathke, Carrie, Jovana, Super, Ange, Cheryl and Logan… you helped me more than you know. Special thanks to Ryan for the daily encouragement, subjecting yourself to subzero temperatures in cryothearpy with me, making me healthy meals and knowing when I just need a freakin’ donut, I love you and appreciate you. Carrie, thanks for always making me feel better when I am frustrated with myself, my injuries or just running in general, for cheering me on at my running events and for my Team Chompers shirt. Hehee. To all my girls that do running events with me throughout the year, you are the best friends a girl can ask for. You girls make running fun and push me to do better. Cheryl, I was honored to wear the bracelet today. I thought of Greg often and felt a peace around me. Logan, my new running buddy, proud of you for doing the relay and excited to run Shamrock with you. Big thanks to all those that sent me lovely supportive messages. And to all those that celebrated with me at brunch. Cheers!
 
I am lucky girl to be surrounded by so many wonderful people. 
 
 
the night before
  
estimated arrival times
 
way too early in the morning
 
a mile of porta potties at 6:00 a.m.
 
at start line
 
 
 
and I did it!  26.2 miles
 

 
my Ryan, my love
 
 
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment